Friday, February 11, 2011
February 11, 2011
Thought this would be best for you all to keep updated. Jon got very sick, very quickly. Last week we thought he had a GI bug, he had fluids and then his labs were ok so they went ahead with his chemotherapy treatment. This made everything worse. He couldn't keep anything down. He went in Friday for more IV fluids, which helped a little. Saturday was Campbell's 2nd birthday and he for no reason wanted to cancel any plans of celebrating it. We had a couple people over, and he came down and sat in the chair and watched the action for a bit and then had to lay down. I convinced him to go in for IV fluids again Sunday morning. He got on the scale and was 136lbs. We left the ER and he felt a little better. All during this he was having increased pain. He went home and laid right down. Monday he was suppose to have a CT scan and it was postponed until Wednesday, since he wasn't at a point of drinking contrast. At this point it was 10 days since he had any solids to eat. He laid on the couch and only got up to the bathroom, didn't go downstairs, and I would help him get comfortable, and get his meds. He was drinking, but it didn't stay down for long. He had a plan and was refusing to go to the doctor, even though everyone wa trying to convince him. He was fading fast and didn't realize it. Wednesday morning the priest came to the house and annointed him. He opened his eyes and spoke just briefly. He looked the worst I had ever seen him, grey and pale, just a skeleton. I finally lost it. Our families were here and I had everyone come with me and I told him the facts and that he had no choice to go. After some screaming, and more telling rather than asking he agreed to go to the hospital. I felt we barely made it. He was carried down the steps and put in the car. He complained he couldn't breathe, and we talked him through it to hold on. In the ER everything went really fast. His pulse was 149 and was just laying there. His pain was out of control and no pain meds helped. They started dumping IV fluids in him, giving him something for nausea, and attempting to control the pain. He was stabilized and admitted to the hospital. Thursday morning the pain was better controlled, but still there. He was started to throw up again, and about lunch time he was in uncontrollable pain. I convinced him to have an NG (a tube inserted into his nose that went to his stomach to suction whatever was in there), so then he would be able to drink and not worry about it coming right up. The RN inserted the tube and within 5 min 2,300 mls of bile then liquid stool came out. Jon has an obstruction of some sort and that is why he couldn't keep anything down. Boy, he felt better after this. He has been happy to drink whatever he wants since. Today is the big day we find out what is obstructing him. He has a CT scan around 1pm and we hope to get results sooner than later. We are praying hard and hoping for the best. More than ever I am grateful that he is here with us today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You all are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you guys! :)
-Trina, Rich & Sam Simonson
I am reading your story and feel such sadness for you, Jon and your family! Know that I am thinking about you and hope they find the answer to the obstruction ASAP!! It is so hard to see your loved one waste away. Jon is very fortunate to have support and love with him as he goes through this painful journey. Anything I can do give me a call! My thoughts and prayers are with you all
Kathy Linke
Sending you all my thoughts and prayers from Pittsburgh.
Post a Comment